Recipe by **Jubes**
This recipe was originally from "Super Food Ideas" magazine in 2005. The recipe is easy to make and the biscuits are great with a coffee. They look quite decadent ..so are great to serve to company. It should make 25-30 crescents. You can substitute almond meal for the hazelnut meal and almond essence for the vanilla essence as a variation To make this recipe for a gluten free diet- ensure the cornflour and icing sugar used are labelled as gluten free
- 1⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar (aka superfine sugar)
- 1 1⁄4 cups hazelnut meal
- 100 g butter, chopped and chilled
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, as duting to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line 2 baking trays with paper.
- Sift flours into a bowl. Add sugar and hazelnut meal. Mix well.
- Rub butter into the hazelnut meal mixture, using your fingertips.
- Stir in egg yolk and essence.
- Stir the mixture until a soft dough forms and then lightly knead on a gluten free flour dusted bench.
- Divide the mixture into two and wrap in plastic cling-wrapfor 15 minutes.
- Roll each portion of dough into a long thick log, approx 2cm thick (1 inch). Cut the logs at 4cm intervals. Shape each piece into a crescent.
- Place crescents on prepared trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden in colour.
- Stand on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- Dust with gluten-free icing sugar to serve.