This is a great alternative to a traditional chili. It is especially great for Spring and Summer as it is much lighter and a bit sweet and spicy. It is very easy to make and can even be done on a camping trip as the ingredients (except for the cheese and bread) are all canned or dry. I actually dreamed about this recipe, woke up the next day and wrote it down. I have never found a similar chili so I consider this a one of a kind creation. I love it for lunch or supper, especially with a slice of swiss cheese melted on top and slice of buttered french bread. It is even better the second day as all the flavors get a chance to meld together.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chunk pineapple (with half the juice)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans (drained)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans (drained)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) candiced new potatoes (drained)
- 16 ounces diced ham
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 1 loaf French bread
- Add all ingredients, EXCEPT for the Swiss cheese & French bread, into a medium size pot and cook until heated through.
- Melt a slice of Swiss cheese on top and serve with French bread.