Prep 16 mins
Cook 30 mins
Well, the title about says it all. This is one of my new favorite recipes because it is fast and easy and doesnt dirty a ton of dishes. Basically, you just make the sauce in a saucepan, pour it over the chicken, and bake. And, it is economical, too. Yum! Note: Dont be afraid scale back the recipe by half as this makes a lot. There is plenty of extra sauce, which I serve over rice.
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 -6 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut into pieces
- cooked rice, for serving
- Prepare oven by preheating to 350.
- Place chicken pieces in a foil-lined pan (for easy cleanup).
- Saute onion in butter in a medium saucepan. Add remaining ingredients to saucepan and cook until thickened.
- Baste chicken with sauce.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. You may baste again halfway through cooking if desired.
- Serve with cooked rice.
- This is also great on the grill: Make sauce as above. Grill chicken 6-10" above hot coals, turning and basting with sauce every 15 minutes until done.
I really liked this, but DH & DD didn't so I will forgo rating with stars. I'd say it's a really nice alternative to BBQ sauce. Rather than use pineapple juice, I pureed a whole pineapple and used that. Delicious. Sweet (but not too sweet), tangy and smokey flavor. This recipe does make a LOT of sauce, but that's good for me: perfect for adding to rice and chicken chunks, reminiscent of a kind of BBQ stir fry.
Great flavor and very simple to make. The sauce really is especially good over rice. I made the whole recipe even though I was only cooking for three so I could have the extra sauce for a later meal. Delicious!
This was awesome! I added half a can of crush pineapple to give it a little extra taste. My 2 yr old and husband loved it! I will be making this again for sure.