Recipe by TheWyld1
I developed this recipe from having ran out of "chili powder" and having these lovely dried peppers on hand. Its so fast, fresh and easy, i don't ever buy "chili powder" any more!!
- 10 -15 whole hatch dried New Mexico chiles
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 3 rotel, for heat
- 2 tablespoons masa harina flour (corn flour)
- 1 lb cooked pinto beans or 1 lb your favorite beans (optional)
- cayenne pepper (for heat) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- clean peppers, wash, seed and stem and place in boiling water until soften, let cool, drop in blender and puree, save the water for adding stock to chili base, brown hamburger, add all ingredients and spices, simmer for a hour.
- Cut the hamburger down to 2 1/2 lbs if using beans.
- The chili without beans are very suitable for chili dogs, chili pies, etc.
- The one with beans makes a very hearty meal.
- We eat this year round and enjoy it!
- This chili has the freshest most delectable taste imaginable!
- Its spicy but NOT hot, people with stomach problems even enjoy this chili!
- Serve with mexican cornbread for a complete meal sure to please!
- Its unbelieveable how fast and simple and GOOD this is for a meal.
- ***Hint*** The sugar is added to reconstitute the freshness of the peppers and other ingredients.