Prep 48 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
German version for making rabbit. Good served with Potato Dumplings, sour cream thickens the sauce and adds a good flavor.
- Place cut up rabbit in a large bowl or crock and cover with marinade of equal parts water and vinegar, the onion, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves.
- Cover the bowl or crock and let marinade in a cool/cold place for two days.
- Remove rabbit pieces and dry each piece.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or heavy skillet and slowly brown rabbit, turning it often.
- Gradually add some of the marinade sauce, about 1/2 cup each time, and simmer with a lid on it until it is tender.
- Add sour cream just before serving.
This recipe traveled to the US Upper Midwest with German immigrants from the Pomeranian and Prussian areas of that country and is the same as the one I have in an old cookbook from just after WWII.