Recipe by Borealis Beegirl
You can substitute the raisins with craisins and the sunflower kernels with pine nuts if you want.
- 1⁄3 cup sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced sweet peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped apple
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, sauté the carrot, onion and peppers in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add apple, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in water, apple juice, lemon juice, brown sugar and salt, bring to a boil.
- Stir in the rice, raisins and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.