Recipe by Charlotte J
From 'The Irish Pub Cookbook' by Margaret M. Johnson. Odlums or Howard's brand of coarse whole-wheat flour is recommended.
- 3 cups coarse whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3 inch loaf pan.
- IN a large bowl, stir together the day ingredients.
- Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula the had been dipped in water or buttermilk.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the bread out onto the rack and let cool, right side up, for about 1 hour to make slicing easier.