Recipe by BLUE ROSE
For the food world tour I found a different way to make a hamburger. I made the burgers and the onion mixture the night before. Time does not include marinating time.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I cut the recipe in half and made this for my boys. I used all beef because I didn't have any veal but followed the rest of the recipe as written. My boys enjoyed them as they were different.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf rye bread or 8 rye rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl mix beef, veal, ketchup, instant minced onion, salt, pepper, celery seed and garlic powder. Shape mixture into 16 thin patties; chill.
- Mix red wine vinegar, salad oil and dill weed.
- Place onion slices in a shallow glass dish; pour vinegar mixture over onions. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers according to how you like your burgers.
- Wrap rye bread in a single thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place on grill 4" from medium coals. Heat 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove red onions from marinade.
- Top burgers with onions.
- Use reserved marinade for extra sauce on the burgers if you want to.