Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
For the food world tour I found a different way to make a hamburger. I made the burgers and the onion mixture the night before. Time does not include marinating time.
- In large bowl mix beef, veal, ketchup, instant minced onion, salt, pepper, celery seed and garlic powder. Shape mixture into 16 thin patties; chill.
- Mix red wine vinegar, salad oil and dill weed.
- Place onion slices in a shallow glass dish; pour vinegar mixture over onions. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers according to how you like your burgers.
- Wrap rye bread in a single thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place on grill 4" from medium coals. Heat 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove red onions from marinade.
- Top burgers with onions.
- Use reserved marinade for extra sauce on the burgers if you want to.
I cut the recipe in half and made this for my boys. I used all beef because I didn't have any veal but followed the rest of the recipe as written. My boys enjoyed them as they were different.
These were really tasty! I used all beef instead of veal (just can't bring myself to eat it) and also added some havarti cheese and grilled it all like a patty melt. Delicious. Had a pasta salad as a side and enjoyed very much. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT3
Hi, liked the idea of putting onion and catsup in the meat patties. I guess we're used to loading up on condiments and cheese with our burgers so felt a little something was missing for our American tastes. We did like the vinegar flavor and onion together. We made our burgers thicker too. Thanks for posting.