For the food world tour I found a different way to make a hamburger. I made the burgers and the onion mixture the night before. Time does not include marinating time.
- In large bowl mix beef, veal, ketchup, instant minced onion, salt, pepper, celery seed and garlic powder. Shape mixture into 16 thin patties; chill.
- Mix red wine vinegar, salad oil and dill weed.
- Place onion slices in a shallow glass dish; pour vinegar mixture over onions. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Grill burgers according to how you like your burgers.
- Wrap rye bread in a single thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place on grill 4" from medium coals. Heat 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove red onions from marinade.
- Top burgers with onions.
- Use reserved marinade for extra sauce on the burgers if you want to.