Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful flavor, not too spicy. Keeps for a week or two in the fridge, or freeze it for later.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (whole)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (measure carefully, this is strong)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 cup water
- Mix spices and salts into meat and shape into 2- 3 rolls (whatever will fit in your pot!).
- Wrap in two layers of plastic wrap and once in foil.
- Boil for approx 1 hr.
- on medium high heat.
I wasn't sure how this would work out - I'd never cured meat, or made lunch meat before. I read that it wasn't too spicy, and we really like a bit of spice, so I used seasoned salt instead of the garlic and onion salt, and added some red pepper flakes. The flavor was good, especially after chilling overnight. It turned out dry and crumbly - all the fat boiled out of the meat - great for low fat diets, though.