1/11 Photos of Hamburger Potato Cheese Casserole
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
The name just about says it all. If you are looking for something exotic, interesting or spicy, you would be happier moving on to the next recipe. If you need something that will be ready quickly, or is low fat, this is not the dish for you. You also usually have to soak the pan afterward to clean up. BUT, if sometimes you or your family members just want some hamburger and cheesy potatoes, and you have a couple of hours before you need to have dinner ready, you might enjoy this. After all of the fun and interesting things I make for my family - which they enjoy - this is what they ask for. This is a recipe my mother asked for; this is what my son wants to eat so he feels like he's been home during school holidays; my picky 7 year old eats an adult-sized portion of this. My husband is always happy to eat it. Adapted from the More with Less cookbook - can also be made with other meats/cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4-1/2 inch thick
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 lb ground beef (really lean is preferable)
- salt and pepper
Cheese sauce (the same one I use for macaroni and cheese)
- 1I use a 2 1/2 quart covered casserole dish for this. This will stick unless you have a great non-stick baking dish - I never grease the pan though because of all the fat that's already in this.
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Brown hamburger and onion.
- 4Place a layer of sliced potatoes in casserole dish, top with half of hamburger/onion mixture. Salt and pepper to taste (kind of depends on how salty your cheese sauce is - you can always salt it later if it needs it).
- 5Repeat layering of potato slices and hamburger mixture (and salt and pepper if desired).
- 6Make Cheese sauce:.
- 7Melt 3 T butter in saucepan over med-high heat.
- 8Add 3 T flour, and the salt and pepper. Stir quickly to blend.
- 9Add 2 cups milk; stir with whisk to incorporate butter/flour mixture.
- 10Reduce heat, stir till thickened and bubbly.
- 11Remove from heat and add shredded cheddar. Stir until cheese melts.
- 12Pour cheese sauce over hamburger and potatoes in baking dish. Push potatoes around to let cheese sauce into all of the crevices so it's well coated.
- 13Cover and place in oven. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, till potatoes are tender and top is browned. I like to take off the lid for the last 20 minutes or so to brown the top a bit.
- 14Even with the leanest ground beef, this can get little pools of grease on top - I just spoon these off. It doesn't mean the whole thing is greasy - just cheesy.
- 15My family members consider generous amounts of ketchup a necessary addition to this dish. I like it fine by itself (ok, maybe a spot of ketchup on the side).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hamburger Potato Cheese Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 670.9
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 117.8 mg
- Sodium 588.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 32.8 g