Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. This recipe was from Margaret Peterson.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Brown ground beef, drain fat.
- Add rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer one hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.
I made this as directed with one exception. I added a little cabbage. I made it on a Sunday and ate it on Monday. I thought the taste of the ketchup was overpowering. I don't like my food sweet it all. I froze it all with hopes that it will mellow by the time I defrost. Next time I would leave the ketchup out. I think it would be better without it.
I love this soup, I make often though I found it in the newspaper as a recipe request from Witchitah Pub here in Oregon. I do like variety of vetetables in my soup and this has what I like.Since it has so much celery do not substitute celery salt as celery is so good cooked. The recipe will not taste the same.
Excellent soup, I used really lean hamburger 96/4 and only had 1 carrot. It turned out so good DH didn't even notice the lowfat hamburger. I will definitely make again!