Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. This recipe was from Margaret Peterson.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Brown ground beef, drain fat.
- Add rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer one hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.