Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, which contains recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. This recipe was from Margaret Peterson.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parsley (optional)
- 28 ounces tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Brown ground beef, drain fat.
- Add rest of ingredients, bring to boil and simmer one hour or until barley and vegetables are tender.
I made this as directed with one exception. I added a little cabbage. I made it on a Sunday and ate it on Monday. I thought the taste of the ketchup was overpowering. I don't like my food sweet it all. I froze it all with hopes that it will mellow by the time I defrost. Next time I would leave the ketchup out. I think it would be better without it.
I love this soup, I make often though I found it in the newspaper as a recipe request from Witchitah Pub here in Oregon. I do like variety of vetetables in my soup and this has what I like.Since it has so much celery do not substitute celery salt as celery is so good cooked. The recipe will not taste the same.
Excellent soup, I used really lean hamburger 96/4 and only had 1 carrot. It turned out so good DH didn't even notice the lowfat hamburger. I will definitely make again!