Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is such a good ole' boy recipe it's unbelievable, but it is one of the best ham n' bean recipes ever!
- 1 lb dried great northern beans, soaked over night in water and drained
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 3 cans chicken broth (I like low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- In a large skillet, fried the bacon until crisp then remove from the skillet and crumble.
- Add the onion and ham and saute until browned.
- From there, add the beans, bacon, ham/onion mixture, broth, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and parsley to your crock pot.
- Turn to low high and let cook for atleast 8 hours then add the salt.
I thought this recipe was good but was way too oniony and garlicy than i wanted it to be. In the end i ended up adding some brown sugar to cut the onion and garlic. Next time (if i use this recipe again!) i will use about half as much onion and garlic.
This was excellent. I will be adding it tomy OAMC rotation.
Good, simple and easy!!!! ( I even used a left over ham from thanksgiving!!!) I put a little into a blender to thicken it up a little ( just cause thats what I am used to when eating ham n beans) served with cornbread! YUM!