Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Naturally gluten free recipe
Make and share this Ham Hock and White Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb white beans, rinsed
- 2 quarts water, plus additional
- 2 -3 lbs ham hocks or 2 -3 lbs ham shanks
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup chopped carrot, peeled (optional)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Fill large pot with water and as it starts to boil, add dry beans and onion. Cook on medium-low till beans are soft, about 2 hrs., adding water as needed to keep beans covered.
- In another pan fill with water and add the ham and seasonings. Cook till meat falls off the bone.
- When beans are soft, remove the bones from the ham pot and add pot contents to the beans, including the water and the seasonings in the pan.
- Add the carrots and celery-cook on low till veggies are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add hot sauce at serving.