Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is posted to be used with: Danish Green Kale Soup, Slow Cooker. Of course it will be wonderful with any soup or casserole that you would like to have a hammy flavor or essence.
- 10 cups water
- 2 lbs ham hocks
- 2 carrots, cut into thirds
- 3 stalks celery, cut up
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh thyme sprig, loosely packed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- The day before you want to use this: in a 6-quart slow cooker combine water, ham hocks, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, bay leaves, and garlic. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the hocks.
- Remove meat from the pork hocks; coarsely chop (you should have about 2 cups) and set aside.
- Discard bones.
- Line a large sieve with a double thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth; strain broth through sieve.
- Discard solids.
- Cover and chill broth and meat until ready to use.
- If necessary, before using, spoon off and discard any solidified fat from the top of broth.
- If necessary, add enough water to broth to make 10 cups total liquid.