Recipe by Barb G.
This cheesy strata makes a wonderful brunch dish that you can assemble the night before. You may use Ham Or Chicken in this recipe with Asparagus or Broccoli. Adapated from Better Homes & Gardens. Chill time is 2 to 24 hours not included in prep time.
Top Review by cynfullydomestic
Loved the flavor! I made 2 casseroles for our block party. One exactly as written, with english muffins, gruyere chese and asparagus. The other casserole had ciabatta bread, swiss cheese and broccoli. Both were really yummy. One took 10 minutes longer to cook, but I think it was because one casserole dish was near the top of the oven, and the other near the bottom of the oven. I think the lower casserole cooked faster...... It helped to test center with a knife. I will make this again. Thank you.
- 4 English muffins, torn or cut into bite-size pieces (4 Cups)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham or 2 cups chicken (10-ounces)
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen cut asparagus or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and well drained or 2 cups fresh cooked asparagus or 2 cups broccoli
- 4 ounces process swiss cheese, torn or 4 ounces gruyere cheese, cut up
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- pepper (Salt if using chicken)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a greased 2-quart square baking dish spread half of the English muffin pieces.
- Top with ham, asparagus, and cheese.
- Top with the remaining English muffins pieces.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs and sour cream, Stir in milk onion, mustard, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- (If using chicken add salt.) Pour evenly over layers in dish.
- Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325 degree oven for 60 to 65 minutes or until internal temperature registers 170 degrees on an instant thermometer.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.