Recipe by JenSmith
A pretty open sandwich to serve to company for brunch or lunch. Great for using leftover ham. Your guests will be very impressed! Don't let them know how easy this was to pull off! From Southern Living, Feb. 1986
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen asparagus spears
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 slices cooked ham, thin slices
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with the Mushroom-Cheese Sauce: Saute mushrooms and onion in butter in a heavy saucepan until tender; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk and wine; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Next, cook asparagus according to package directions; drain.
- To assemble sandwiches: Place English muffin halves, cut side up, on a 15-x10-x1-inch jellyroll pan. Place one slice ham on each English muffin half; arrange 4 asparaugs spears on top. Spoon about 2 TB Mushroom-Cheese Sauce over each; sprinkle with 2 TB cheese and paprika.
- Broil 6 inches from heat for 3--5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.