Another recipe I want to try soon. This is also from McCalls Cooking School cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large potatoes (3 pounds)
- 1 (10 ounce) package pie crust mix
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, slice
- 1 -2 cup leftover ham, pieces (cubed)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1Scrub potatoes, pare and slice very thin.
- 2Put potatoes in a large glass bowl and cover with cold water; set aside.
- 3Prepare pie crust mix according to package directions; wrap in plastic and set aside.
- 4Using a food processor or food grater, coarsely grate Cheddar cheese. Put in a small bowl; add flour and toss to mix well.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 6Lightly grease a shallow two quart oval, round or rectangular baking dish.
- 7Drain potatoes thoroughly; pat dry with paper towels. Alternately layer potatoes with sliced onion, ham and cheese-flour mixture, sprinkling with garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg as you layer.
- 8Pour on milk; dot with butter and set aside.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry out to a 15 x 11 inch rectangle, or a 13 inch circle, depending on the size and shape of your baking dish. Gently lift pastry and place on baking dish to cover potato mixture completely.
- 10Turn edges of pastry under and flute decoratively with your fingers. Cut four gashes in pastry to allow steam to escape while baking.
- 11Mix egg yolk with one tablespoon of the half and half cream; brush over the pastry to glaze.
- 12Bake 60 minutes or until pstry is golden brown and potatoes are done.
- 13Remove from oven; pour remaining half and half cream through the vents in the top of the pastry. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Potato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.1
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.7 mg
- Sodium 1079.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 19.5 g