Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I would imagine at some point this came from someone outside of my family, but no one remembers who. If you prefer, use four peeled and cooked potatoes, sliced.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans potatoes (sliced)
- 2 cups carrots, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups ham, fully cooked (diced)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (1 fresh slice)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted) or 1 tablespoon margarine (melted)
- Layer half of the potatoes and then half the carrots in a 2 quart casserole.
- Stir cubed ham and mushroom soup , 1/2 cup cheese and milk and pepper together.
- Spread over potatoes and carrots.
- Repeat layers.
- Combine melted butter with breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 minutes or until bubbling.
The first time I tried this one exactly as it says, but we didn't care for the potatoes, they were a bit salty. Second time, I used fresh potatoes, added chopped onion, green pepper, garlic, and peas instead of carrots and 1/4 cup of chicken stock with the milk. I also added black pepper, basil, oregano and a dash of hot sauce. It was really good!!
This is very yummy. It is now added to my recipes! Hope your are doing well!
DH enjoyed this and went back for seconds. For me, this didnt work real well. I think it was a bit to salty and I would have added less ham. I used matchstick carrots and cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic. The carrots really didnt seem to go to well with the other flavors. For me this would be a 3 star rating and for DH it would be a 5 star rating. We compromised and went for 4!