Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is adapted from one that was in the October issue of Southern Living. I changed it around a bit because I had twice as many collards as the recipe called for. Healthy and delicious!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 16 ounces cubed ham
- 1 ham hock
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 44 ounces canned diced tomatoes (1 big can, 1 reg can)
- 2 lbs fresh collard greens (already washed and cut up)
- 32 ounces canned pinto beans (2 cans)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Saute the ham, ham hock, onion, and celery in the vegetable oil until onion is tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and collards and bring to a boil. Season with vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer stirring occassionally until collards are tender. (45-120 minutes)
- Stir in pintos 10 minutes before serving. Serve with cornbread!