Recipe by akcooker
This is a great make ahead appetizer. Also good when served with soup, such as my Corn Chowder. The sauce/spread is particularly good. This has been modified from an old Holiday Appetizer magazine.
Top Review by Lvs2Cook
I made these for our Open House last weekend and they were a huge hit ~ there were none left at the end of the night :) I made the muffins and the honey-mustard sauce the day before so it was very to assemble the day of the party. The flavors just blended so well together. Thank you for posting a keeper!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (or one large egg)
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 lb sliced deli ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray 36 mini muffin tins with cooking oil spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Whisk together the milk, oil, egg or substitute, and dried chives. Let this mixture set for a couple of minutes to soften chives and bring out their flavor.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients together until just blended.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned (my oven takes 17-18 minutes). Cool on racks.
- These can be made ahead, sealed in plastic bags and refrigerated or even frozen.
- Mix honey, mustard, mayonnaise, and Worcestershire sauce.
- This can also be made ahead if covered and refrigerated (only for a day or two).
- To assemble: Cut each muffin in half crosswise, spread each half with honey sauce.
- Drape ham slices over bottom half, letting some hang over sides. Replace muffin top.
- Arrange on a platter; garnish with fresh chives or parsley. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until about 1/2 hour before serving. Or serve right away.
- These are best if they come back to room temperature before eating.