Patty Mae's Note:
Here's a way to turn ham and Swiss into an elegant and delicious entree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 lb fresh asparagus or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen asparagus cuts
- 12 (6 inch) crepes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sauterne white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces grated gruyere cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Cut tough ends off asparagus spears. Steam until just tender.
- 2Immediately plunge spears into iced water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- 3Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- 4Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, salt, and freshly ground black pepper; cook for a couple of minutes.
- 5Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden brown.
- 6Add half-and-half and milk and whisk until smooth.
- 7Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
- 8Reserve 1/4 cup of the grated cheese in a separate dish and set aside.
- 9Add the remaining cheese to the sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- 10Stir in wine, Dijon mustard, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
- 11Remove 1 cup of sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- 12Stir ham and asparagus into remaining sauce and mix thoroughly. Simmer until heated through.
- 13Place one crepe on a flat surface. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the ham mixture across the middle of the crepe.
- 14Roll up crepe and place on a platter seam side down.
- 15Repeat with remaining crepes.
- 16Pour the reserved sauce over the filled crepes.
- 17Sprinkle the finished crepes with reserved cheese and the parsley.
- 18Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Cheese Crepes
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.8
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 159.8 mg
- Sodium 622.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: