Recipe by Patty Mae
Here's a way to turn ham and Swiss into an elegant and delicious entree.
Top Review by donnie27
Rita.......I'm so glad to give the first review of this recipe. Wow, it is so delicious. The only problem was that I couldn't eat more than 1 1/2. (I tried to eat 2, but they are very rich and very filling). But that means we have leftovers, and know they will disappear quickly.
I used a crepe recipe that made 16 and I have some leftover filling.......so don't you know that I will have a quick meal on hand this week.
Thanks for posting, I've been looking for a ham and asparagus recipe for years and this is exactly what I wanted.
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 lb fresh asparagus or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen asparagus cuts
- 12 (6 inch) crepes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sauterne white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces grated gruyere cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tough ends off asparagus spears. Steam until just tender.
- Immediately plunge spears into iced water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, salt, and freshly ground black pepper; cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the flour and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until flour turns golden brown.
- Add half-and-half and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the grated cheese in a separate dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining cheese to the sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in wine, Dijon mustard, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Remove 1 cup of sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir ham and asparagus into remaining sauce and mix thoroughly. Simmer until heated through.
- Place one crepe on a flat surface. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the ham mixture across the middle of the crepe.
- Roll up crepe and place on a platter seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the filled crepes.
- Sprinkle the finished crepes with reserved cheese and the parsley.
- Serve immediately.