Recipe by Winnipeg *Mel*
Make this quick and easy cookies with your kids and everyone will surely have a blast making them AND eating them.
Top Review by Caitlin Williams
I don't know how you got this to work by following the recipe. I actually followed the recipe exactly (something I rarely do) and it was a disaster. The dough was impossible to work with because it was so sticky, making the cookie cutter approach unsuccessful. I ended up rolling it into balls with my hands and flattening them out with my fingers. After 15 minutes in the 200 degree oven, they were mush. I turned it up to 350 and baked them for another 15 minutes, and then they were golden brown. I give this recipe 2 stars for taste, and -3 for directions.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 butter or 1⁄2 margarine
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and sugar.
- Gently cut in shortening and butter then blend in egg.
- Beat dough mixture until evenly combined and lastly add the oatmeal.
- Roll out dough to about ¼” thick between 2 plastic wraps.
- Using a 2 ½ round cutter, cut dough to circles on ungreased cookie sheet 1” apart.
- Prepare filling by simply mixing filling ingredients together.
- Put a teaspoonful of filling at the center of each and cover with remaining dough circles.
- Seal the edges by pressing down with fingers or by a fork.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.