Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has been in my repertoire for at least 20 years.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,dried,and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed,more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- Spray deep skillet with nonstick spray.
- Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add olive oil, add chicken, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned and no longer pink, stirring regularly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add green pepper, celery, onion, green onion, garlic, parsley, basil, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Saute about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, cayenne, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Fish out bay leaves, and serve over hot cooked rice or pasta.
- Variation: We have also tried this using shrimp instead of chicken.
- The recipe is the same, except replace chicken with 1-1/2 pounds unpeeled raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Reduce initial browning time from 3-5 minutes to 2-3 minutes, or the shrimp will get tough.