Recipe by Manami
This is another one of my favorites that we used to serve as a whole meal with some rice and fried plantains. It is one of the best ways to serve eggplant; with cabbage, carrots, spinach, watercress, & chayotte. I have had it as a meatless dish and also, with crab, or beef & beef bones with marrow. This is a combination of many recipes and in my attempt to get the right amounts to post I may have had to guesstimate a few times. Please forgive me!
Top Review by otonyebraide
Great recipe! My haitian and non-haitian friends who tried it, loved it. In my case, I used goat meat and fresh zipper peas because I don't do beef often and was too lazy to go by lima beans and green beans. Still turned out wonderful! <br/>This dish is Delicious and I look forward to making this more often! :)
- 2 lbs round steaks, trimmed of all fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 eggplant, chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 1 chayote (militon)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped into 2-inch pieces, divided
- 3 scallions, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large head of cabbage, remove outer leaves, core and chop into 2-inch pieces
- 20 ounces frozen fordhook lima beans
- 12 ounces frozen string beans, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 peeled and sliced carrots, into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped
- 4 -5 Maggi chicken cubes (chicken bouillon soup cubes)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 -3 lemons, juice of
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- haitian spicy vinegar (Pikliz my Spicy Vinegar of Haiti - Picklese (Pikliz))
- seasoning, powder (Adobo seasoning)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beef with lime juice, & salt; allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Make a paste from green pepper, green onions, parsley, garlic and vinegar; rub it on meat and let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Brown beef in small amount of oil.
- Add tomato paste, seasonings and water to cover the beef.
- Add chopped green bell pepper and place on top of the beef while it is cooking.
- Let the beef cook until tender, continually adding tomato paste mixture as needed, so beef does not burn or dry out.
- After meat is tender, bring a large pot with a medium amount of water to a boil and start placing in the vegetables.
- First, add the cabbage and eggplant, next add the lima beans and green beans. Add the carrots, and chayottes - allow to steam until somewhat tender, then add spinach and watercress.
- Pour some oil over the vegetables, add the butter and 1 Maggi cube - continue to let steam till tender.
- Once tender, add the vegetables to beef mixture and stir everything together.
- Let cook for another 10-20 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasonings.
- If necessary, add another Maggi cube.
- Taste again, and adjust all the seasonings.
- This also goes very well with white rice and black beans or kidney beans, that have been cooked down and blended in a blender to make sauce pois(bean sauce).