Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an intriguing mix of sweet and savory. Sharp white cheddar is a good substitute for Manchego cheese.
- 1 cup guava paste (about 7 ounces 1/4 -1/3 inch cubes)
- 1 cup manchego cheese (sharp white is good substitute, about 4 ounces 1/4 -1/3 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Toss first 4 ingredients in medium bowl to combine. Cover filling and chill until ready to use, up to 1 day.
- Stir sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in small bowl.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface; keep remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap and damp towel to prevent drying.
- Brush phyllo with butter and sprinkle with 11/2 teaspoons sugar mixture. Repeat 2 more times to make 3 layers.
- Cut rectangle in half crosswise, making two 6x8-inch stacks. Place scant 1/3 cup guava filling in center of each stack. Gather sheets around filling to form pouch.
- Brush pouches with butter.
- Transfer to small baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 6 pouches total.
- Sprinkle with some of remaining sugar mixture. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic and refrigerate.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake phyllo pouches uncovered until golden brown and filling is heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to plates. Spoon Passion Fruit (or other like lime) syrup alongside; serve phyllo pouches warm.