- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced thin (Monica would never use anything but fresh mozzarella packed in water)
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4 slices large sourdough bread or 4 slices crusty peasant bread
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer the cheese and tomato over 2 slices of bread.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and top each with a few basil leaves.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook, pressing down on them with a spatula until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip the sandwich and add the remaining 2 tbsp oil.
- Continue cooking, occasionally pressing down on sandwiches with spatula until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from pan and enjoy.