Recipe by adena mangis
This was a hearty stew. It was shared in Taste of Home by Darlene Brenden.
Top Review by Sherrie-pie
My kids ate it - and wanted more! Next time I make it though, I'll cook it a bit longer. The vegetables weren't don't enough and the topping wasn't quite cooked through. However, I have a temperamental oven so check as you go. Thanks Adena Mangis for a good mid week supper.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, mixed vegetables, and tomato sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7x2 baking dish. Cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- Biscuits: In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With a fork stir in milk and mustard until a soft dough forms. Add 6 tablespoons chesse.
- Drop by tablespoons onto stew. Bake for 15-20 minutes and sprinkle with remaining cheese.