Recipe by TheGrumpyChef
A simple and hearty meal. Found this in a Pillsbury One Dish cookbook. Very satisfying.
Top Review by happynana
Very good and very easy to make. DH absolutely loved it. Next time I would like to make 3/4 ground beef and 1/4 sauage and throw in a can of green chilies. I added fresh garlic to the mashed potatoes and fresh ground pepper to meat and potatoes. Thank you so much for this easy recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2008
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (24 ounce) packagerefrigerated garlic-flavor mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh tomato, if desired (optional)
- 2 slices precooked bacon, chopped, if desired (optional)
- 2 medium green onions, chopped, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix beef, onion, bread crumbs, sage, salt and egg until well blended.
- Press meat mixture in bottom of ungreased 8-in square glass baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of beef mixture reads 160 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with tomato, bacon and green onions.