Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A simple and hearty meal. Found this in a Pillsbury One Dish cookbook. Very satisfying.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 (24 ounce) packagerefrigerated garlic-flavor mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh tomato, if desired (optional)
- 2 slices precooked bacon, chopped, if desired (optional)
- 2 medium green onions, chopped, if desired (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, mix beef, onion, bread crumbs, sage, salt and egg until well blended.
- Press meat mixture in bottom of ungreased 8-in square glass baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered about 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in center of beef mixture reads 160 degrees F.
- Sprinkle with tomato, bacon and green onions.
Very good and very easy to make. DH absolutely loved it. Next time I would like to make 3/4 ground beef and 1/4 sauage and throw in a can of green chilies. I added fresh garlic to the mashed potatoes and fresh ground pepper to meat and potatoes. Thank you so much for this easy recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2008
This recipe was like shepard's pie without the veggies. It was good, but couldn't taste the sage and it could have used more flavor, possibly garlic?? Will try again and see what I can add to give it a little punch.