1/8 Photos of Ground Beef and Potato Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
An old farm recipe, updated to today's fast paced life.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium white potatoes (pared, and sliced very thin)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery leaves (fresh or dried optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (spicy optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup milk (add a little more if needed)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- 3Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and brown ground beef.
- 4Drain ground beef, if necessary.
- 5Add onions and celery to same skillet and cook until soft, adding rest of spice ingredients through pepper flakes. Stir well. But in a bowl and set to the side.
- 6In same skillet, melt butter (or use 1 tablespoon of leftover grease from browning ground beef). Add flour to butter, stirring for one minute over medium-high heat.
- 7Gradually add milk and cook till bubbly and thickened.
- 8Add cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and chili powder continue to stir until melted.
- 9Spoon 1/4 cup of the ground beef mixture and spread evenly on bottom of a baking dish.
- 10Add 1 layer of potatoes.
- 11Alternate ground beef mixture, then potatoes until completely used.
- 12Pour cheese sauce over ground beef and potato mixture.
- 13Top with a pinch of paprika and grated cheese.
- 14Bake for 1 hour, or until potatoes and beef are bubbly and done.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Beef and Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.5
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.2 mg
- Sodium 816.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 30.4 g