Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is fun and easy for a small gathering. Adapted from Dishing with Style by Rori Trovato.
Make and share this Grilled Tuscan-Style Steak With Focaccia Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (24 -32 ounce) porterhouse steaks or 4 (10 ounce) rib eye or 4 (10 ounce) steaks, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 4 parsley sprigs
- square focaccia bread ((0.5 inch thick) or 4 slices Italian bread ((0.5 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- For steak: Rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- For porterhouse steaks: Grill 6-7 minutes per side for medium rare; 7-9 minutes for medium. For rib eye or shell steaks: Cook 5-6 minutes per side for medium rare; 6-7 minutes for medium. Remove; squeeze a wedge of lemon on each steak.
- For foccacia salsa: Rip bread in to small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 3 minutes, or until golden. Add garlic, bread, rosemary and parsley, then stir with a wooden spoon until mixture is evenly coated with olive oil and bread is golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Presentation 1: Portable Porterhouse.
- Pass whole steaks around the table on a wooden cutting board with a bowl of salsa and remaining lemon wdges.
- Presentation 2: Sit-Down Dinner.
- Slice steaks against the grain into 1/4" pieces. Overlap slices on a plate; make an S pattern on meat with 1/2 cup of salsa. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
I really liked the steak but the foccacia salsa, while yummy, didn't really do anything for the steak. It was just too weird for me I guess. Like eating croutons with my steak? I really liked the lemon with my steak though. Will do that again.
This was surprisingly good. I was a little worried about the amount of salt and pepper, but it turned out nice, very peppery in a good way. The lemon squeezed on it was a nice touch too, and worked well with the saltiness of the steak. The foccacia salsa was also odd to me, but it too was delicious.