Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Yet another recipe from my favorite food magazine, Cook's Illustrated.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tuna steaks
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mccormick steak seasoning (to taste, seasoned black pepper)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder (to taste)
- Wasabi Mayonnaise:.
- Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until flavors blend, at least 10 minutes.
- Tuna Burgers:.
- With your knife, using a rocking motion, chop tuna until it is coarsely ground into pieces about 1/8 inch each.
- In medium size bowl mix tuna with garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper (to taste). Divide mixture into 4 portions approximately 5 ounces each. Using your hands press into patties about 1 inch thick.
- Chill patties in refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill until very hot (about 15 minutes). Leave all burners on high.
- Oil grate (with a small wad of paper towels soaked in vegetable oil).
- Grill burgers, covered, until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip burgers with greased metal spatula.
- Continue grilling, covered, to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for medium-rare or 4 minutes for medium, 5 minutes for medium-well (do not overcook).
- Serve immediately with wasabi mayonnaise.
This was an easy to prepare, really tasty weeknight meal. Loved the wasabi mayo--perfect amount of heat. We actually prepared on the stovetop in a grill pan as it is a cold Michigan night tonight, which worked out fine. In nicer weather, this will be great on our grill. DH thinks we should top with sliced tomato and/or avocado next time. We'll try it since there will definitely be a next time...Thanks for a keeper!