Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
This is from the Weekend magazine dated August 11th'06. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, cut into thin strips
- Heat grill to medium-high power.
- Lightly oil the grates.
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with a tablespoons of oil.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Now, place tomatoes on the grill, cut side down.
- Cover and grill until soft and charred.
- This takes 5-10 minutes per side.
- Transfer tomatoes back to a bowl with the aid of a metal spatula.
- Snip tomatoes into smaller pieces once cool enough to handle using a pair of kitchen shears.
- Add garlic, vinegar and red pepper flakes to tomatoes.
- Season with more salt and pepper.
- Brush 4 slices of thick country bread with remaining oil.
- Grill on medium heat on both sides until beginning to char. This takes about 2 minutes per side.
- Cut bread slices in half.
- Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the top of each slice.
- Top with basil and serve immediately.