Recipe by Smurfette the Chef
I tried this recipe from a current issue of Taste of Home and my family fell in love with it. Jalapeno slices add a bit of zing but the recipe can be adjusted for spiciness.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 6 pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked rice
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grill chicken breasts, covered, over medium heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer reads 170˚.
- Top chicken with cheese and cook until melted.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare sauce.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender.
- Add tomatillos, lime juice, jalapenos and garlic and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and top chicken with sauce over hot rice. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired.