Recipe by Chef Tweaker
From the book "8 Weeks to Optimal Health". I have not made it yet. Posting for safekeeping. Dr Weil says: "Tempeh is a fermented-soybean product, a staple food of Indonesia, with a meaty texture and a bland flavor. You will find packages of it refrigerated or frozen in health-food stores." ETA: Well I tried it. I would say it is for die-hard tempeh fans. I had never tried it before and I will try it another way but probably not this way again.
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed or 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (8 ounce) packages tempeh
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 8 slices tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw tempeh if frozen. The 8 oz packages that I got were a square shape just the size of a loaf of bread. Cut each cake thru the middle (so it is two thinner pieces but the same size square) using a sharp knife. If you get a 1 pound section and it is rectangular you will want to cut it crosswise first.
- Marinate the tempeh slices in the combined marinade at least 1 hour at room temperature or 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Drain the tempeh and grill or broil until well browned. I used a Foreman grill and I think it took about 7 minutes.
- Make sandwiches of it on toasted bread with lettuce, tomato and your favorite spread.