Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from my favorite cooking magazine, Cook's Illustrated. Perfect for a Father's Day BBQ.
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 (12 -16 ounce) beef strip steaks, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- Combine potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 quarts cold water in large pot and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are barely tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander, being careful not to break them.
- Transfer potatoes to rimmed baking sheet coated with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Drizzle remaining tablespoon oil over potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Light grill and heat until grate is hot, about 5 minutes.
- Generously sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over hottest part of grill until well browned on one side, about 3 minutes.
- Turn steaks; grill until well browned on second side, 3 minutes.
- Once browned, move steaks to cooler part of grill.
- Continue grilling, uncovered, to desired doneness, 7 to 8 minutes more for rare (120 degrees on instant-read thermometer), 9 to 10 minutes for medium-rare on rare side (125 degrees), 11 to 12 minutes for medium-rare on medium side (130 degrees), or 12 to 13 minutes for medium (135 to 140 degrees). Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once steaks are moved to cooler part of grill, place potatoes on hotter part.
- Cook, turning once, until grill marks appear and potato slices are cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While meat and potatoes are cooking on the grill, prepare sauce by beating butter with large fork in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add cheese, shallot, parsley, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- To serve, place one steak and some of potatoes. Top each steak with 2 tablespoons butter mixture and serve immediately.
I tasted this at my Shaw's grocery store a while back, a collaboration with Cook's Illustrated, and just had to make it at home since my DH loves steak, bleu cheese, and potatoes! Made as directed; however, next time I will melt the bleu cheese butter and drizzle it atop the steak and potatoes. You can see from my photo that I mounded the bleu cheese butter over and I can tell you that melting it would have been a more divine way to go! Thanks, Galley Wench, for posting this before I did! :)