Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A steak that garlic lovers are gonna want often. Spread the garlic on slices of crusty bread to go with your dinner as well.
- 1 -2 head garlic
- 3 -4 teaspoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 boneless sirloin steaks or 3 rib eye steaks
- 1 -2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Remove papery outer layers from garlic bulbs, leaving individual cloves attached to the bulbs.
- Cut off about 1/2 inch from the top of each bulb and throw away.
- Place garlic in the center of a double layer of foil.
- Fold foil up around garlic to form a shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle garlic with basil and rosemary.
- Drizzle with oil.
- Completely enclose garlic in the foil, twisting ends of foil on top.
- Grill foil packet over medium coals for 30 minutes or until cloves are soft.
- Remove bulbs from foil, reserving herb and oil mixture.
- Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, season steaks with the salt and pepper and grill until desired doneness alongside the garlic packets.
- To serve, cut steak into servings.
- Carefully squeeze pulp from garlic cloves onto steaks.
- Mash pulp slightly with a fork.
- Drizzle herb-oil mixture over steaks and garlic.
The garlic on top was very nice and its softness was a good match with the steak. We made it in the oven under the broiler rather than the grill (ran out of charcoal), so I bet it would be even better on the barbeque.
This was so delicious! My DH especially loved the garlic mixture and ate it on his steak AND vegetables AND by itself! Definitely a keeper in this house!