Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Grilled Provolone Cheese From LCBO Food & Drink Magazine Provoleta is a traditional Argentinian cheese. It has a texture that allows it to be barbecued. Using provolone gives the same taste but cannot be used on the barbecue and must be cooked in a nonstick pan instead. The weight of the cheese in the ingredients is an estimate. Try to get two 1/4" thick rounds of the cheese.
- 3⁄4 lb provolone cheese (2 rounds, 1/4 inch thick) or 3⁄4 lb proveleta cheese (2 rounds, 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 6 slices serrano ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush cheese with olive oil and fry for 45 seconds to 1 minute or until a brown crust has formed on the bottom and the cheese has begun to melt all over.
- Let pan sit off heat for 2 minutes or until cheese has cooled enough to remove from pan in 1 piece.
- Slide cheese out of pan and flip over so that browned crust is on top.
- Sprinkle with oregano and pepper.
- Serve with Serrano ham.