Recipe by Manami
"Green mangoes are not fully ripe, and they lend sour flavor to Southeast Asian dishes. Their tartness contrasts with sweet carrot, refreshing mint and basil, and fiery peppers. Use an equal amount of unpeeled green apples if you can't find green mangoes." Cooking Light Magazine, June 2009 edition.Marinating time: 60 minutes - Waiting time: 10 minutes. Update: 06/26/2009 - there was a computer glich when I wrote 1 large green (unripe) mango, peeled & shredded - it didn't take it at all and I was sure it was there but as one reviewer said, there wasn't anything posted about quantities etc of a green mango - I had to enter it in many different ways before it would take. I am truly sorry:(
Top Review by tracytrebilcox
No where in the list of ingredients does it state how much mango, and where to use the mango, so I used mango juice and pineapple juice to marinate pork chops. Then, I just grilled the pork chops, and served them with the salad (which was only the lettuce and mung bean sprouts).
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake (rice wine) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄3 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- mango, green peeled and shredded (1 lge)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 8 boston lettuce leaves
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE PORK:.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- To prepare pork, combine pineapple juice, ginger, low-sodium soy sauce, sake, garlic cloves and pork roast in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal.
- Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Remove pork from bag; discard marinade;. sprinkle pork evenly with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray.
- Grill 22 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155°, turning occasionally.
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes; cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut each slice into thin strips, and keep warm.
- PREPARE SALAD:.
- Combine carrot and the 7 ingredients listed (through jalapeno) in a medium bowl; toss well.
- Place about 1 1/2 ounces pork on each of 8 lettuce leaves; top each serving evenly with 1/4 cup mango mixture and 2 tablespoon bean sprouts.