Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe, adapted from one from Maytag Dairy Farms, is really upscale American comfort food.
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup havarti cheese, shredded
- 8 slices sourdough bread (or other good-quality bread)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 pears, ripe, cored, thinly sliced
- salad greens, such as arugula (optional)
- Toss cheeses together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place bread slices on a work surface.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the butter on each of 4 bread slices; set aside.
- Arrange pear slices evenly on the unbuttered slices.
- Top with the cheese; top with the greens, then the buttered slice of bread.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat, or prepare a panini pan.
- Add sandwiches to pan; heat, turning once, pressing with a spatula to flatten, until cheese melts and bread browns, about 3 minutes per side.
I adore salads with Pears & Blue Cheese - so this sounded wonderful! I was in a rush today, so I toasted up one sandwich and brought it on a hike with me. Wonderful wonderful - what a treat after a strenuous 2 hours! And my 11 year old daughter (who saw me making it and knew it was some kind of pear sandwich) wanted to try a bite - she loved it and wanted another bite (I had brought her PB & J) and wants me to make it for her for lunch tomorrow! I'll do that & take a picture too! I won't tell her it has BLUE cheese though!!