Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I grew up loving grilled cheese sandwiches. Later I started adding ham. Here is my current, kicked-up a notch version. Definitely not your momma's grilled cheese.
- 1 lb sliced ham
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese or 1⁄2 lb edam cheese
- 1 small onion, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 large dill pickles, sliced lengthwise in to quarters
- Spread spicy mustard on one side of each slice of bread. I use jalapeno mustard.
- Distribute cheese evenly among the 8 pieces of bread.
- Pan fry ham until slightly caramelized. Remove and set to one side.
- Pan fry onions in half the butter until caramelized. Remove and set to one side.
- Melt remaining butter in pan or griddle.
- Place 4 slices of bread (chees side up) on the pan or griddle and move around to sop up the butter.
- Distribute the ham slices among the four slices in the pan or griddle.
- Top each with caramelized onions.
- Top with remaining 4 slices (cheese side down).
- Put a thin pat of butter on top of each sandwich, then flip when golden brown.
- Brown remaining side, moving around in the pan or griddle to ensure even coating of butter.
- Remove from heat and cut in half diagonally and serve with chips and a big dill pickle slice.