Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 10 medium artichokes (about 4 oz. each)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire, or preheat a gas grill on the medium-low setting for 15 minutes.
- Trim off the top inch and stem of each artichoke.
- (If using baby artichokes, grill them with the leaves and stem attached).
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spread the leaves of the artichokes apart with your fingers and pour the sauce over the top, making sure it drips into the spaces between the leaves.
- Or, you can split the artichokes in half and coat the cut sides with the dressing.
- Cook the artichokes on the grill, turning, until the bottoms are easily pierced with a skewer, about 45 minutes for medium artichokes, 25 minutes for halves or baby artichokes.
- Remove from the grill, drizzle with lemon juice mixed with oregano, if desired, and serve.
The flavor was there but the garlic burned as did the parsley. Also, the grilling process sucked a lot of water out of the artichokes so they kind of shriveled up. I really liked the idea but after trying the recipe I think that this veggie doesn't belong on the grill. I will make the dressing again and use it to dip steamed chokes in. Sorry I couldn't rate it any higher. **UPDATE** Tried again tonight but wrapped the chokes in foil. They were cooked to perfection and the parsley and garlic didn't burn. They had great flavor so I decided to up the stars to 4. I am glad I tried again!