Recipe by jmelyn
Pretty enough for company. Our guests loved this. We had some toppings left over, and discovered it's tasty on grilled chicken as well. Yum! Prep time includes marinading.
Steak and marinade
- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1⁄3 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, 1/4 inch diced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley (we use cilantro instead)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup drained crumbled feta cheese, about
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim steak of any outer pieces of fat or silver skin.
- Place the steak in a large food grade, zip top plastic bag.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the marinade ingredients and process to a puree.
- Pour marinade into the plastic bag, press out any air, seal, and move meat around in the bag to coat.
- Marinade in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or preferably overnight, turning the bag a few times.
- Heat coals to hot or medium hot.
- Remove steak from marinade and drain well.
- Discard marinade.
- While coals are heating, prepare the topping.
- Mix olives, onion, parsley, garlic and oil and set aside.
- Have salt, pepper and feta ready.
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill meat about 4 minutes per side for rare, or cook to desired doneness.
- Length of grilling time per side will vary depending on heat of grill and thickness of meat.
- Flank steak will be most tender when grilled to rare or medium rare.
- Let steak sit about 5 minutes before serving, allowing juices to settle.
- Slice thinly at an angle across the grain.
- Keeping the slices together, transfer to a clean, warm platter.
- Spoon any juices onto meat.
- Stir up reserved topping mixture and pour onto the slices.
- Scatter with feta.