1 hr 15 mins
Jan in Lanark's Note:
An old Bonnie Stern recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will also need: 2 bricks wrapped in aluminum foil.
- 2To flatten chicken, stand chicken upright on your cutting board. Cut down on either side of the backbone and remove it. Cut off the first two parts of the chicken wing leaving only the top section.Press the two sides open and remove the breastbone but do not cut the chicken in half. Press the chicken as flat as possible.
- 3Place olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a shallow dish and stir well.
- 4Place chicken in dish and coat well on both sides with marinade.
- 5Marinate 10 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- 6Place chicken flat, with skin side up, on a hot BBQ. Place a brick on each half of chicken to flatten.
- 7Cook 10 minutes. Lift the bricks off carefully, turn chicken, replace bricks and cook another 10 minutes.
- 8Repeat until chicken is cooked through- about 20-25 minutes per side, turning once or twice.
- 9When chicken is almost done, cook a few minutes per side without the bricks. Cook chicken on high or medium high the whole cooking time, but if it begins to burn, reduce heat.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Under a Brick
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.9
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 155.2 mg
- Sodium 726.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 38.5 g