Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Though there are plenty of chiles in this paste, they don’t overpower it. The aromatic bite of coriander, the earthiness of cumin and the licorice trace of caraway seeds create a pleasingly complex flavor. This paste is also delicious with pork. (So says Gourmet Magazine. ;)) Chicken rubbed with spice paste can marinate, covered and chilled, up to 4 hours before grilling. Spice paste keeps, covered and chilled, up to 1 week. See notes below for directions using a gas grill. SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: an electric coffee/spice grinder or mortar and pestle; a 17- by 12- by 3-inch aluminum roasting pan (if using charcoal).
- 8 dried hot red chiles (2-inches long)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large chicken breast halves, with skin and bone (about 3/4 lb each)
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking with medium-hot charcoal.
- Coarsely grind chiles, spice seeds, garlic and peppercorns in grinder or mortar and pestle, then stir together with salt and oil in a bowl to form a spice paste. Rub paste all over chicken.
- Oil grill rack, then grill chicken skin sides down first, over coals, turning over occasionally and moving around if flare-ups occur, until browned, 4-6 minutes total.
- Move chicken to area with no coals underneath, arranging chicken so that thicker sides are closest to coals, then cover with inverted roasting pan and grill, turning chicken over once, until just cooked through, 15-17 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- NOTES: Chicken can be grilled on a gas grill. Preheat all burners on high, covered, 10 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately high and brown chicken, skin sides down first, covered, turning over occasionally, about 4 minutes. Turn off 1 burner (middle one if there are 3) and put chicken, skin sides up, above shut-off burner, then grill, covered, without turning, until just cooked through, 15-20 minutes.