Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chicken with a pepped up citrus salsa. Easy and quick to prepare as well as low fat and delicious! Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury.
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges, drained
- 226.79 g cancrushed unsweetened pineapple in juice, drained
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper
- Heat gas grill.
- In medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients and mix well.
- Brush oil over both sides of chicken.
- Mix together salt, pepper and cayenne and sprinkle over chicken.
- Place chicken on grill and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- Place on plates and serve salsa over chicken.
I'm not really sure how to rate this dish. I made it as suggested and found the salsa a bit flat and not really to my tastes. That said, it was a nice contrast to the heat of the cayenne and pepper on the chicken. (Not a fruit and meat issue as I like mixing sweet with savory and/or spicy.) I had quite a bit leftover and added a little grated ginger and some red pepper flakes. After sitting in the fridge a few hours and served with grilled pork chops the next evening, it was pretty good. If you have time, made the salsa in advance -- it is well worth it. Thank you Marie for introducing me to thsi combination. I will certainly tinker and make it agian.
This is an excellent recipe for anyone who is watching his or her weight. I loved the fruit salsa! My husband didn't care for it though, since he doesn't think fruit and chicken go together, so it just depends on individual tastes as to whether or not you will like it. Thanks for the recipe.