Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
To me, grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food, along with some tomato soup. This recipe is sort of 'modernized' for adults and comes out warm, oozy and just right. It gives me 'the warm snugglies'!
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 slices firm pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- Pit, peel and thinly slice avocado.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice; turn slices over; spread with mustard.
- Top 2 of the slices with mozzarella, avocado and turkey.
- Season with salt and pepper; top with remaining 2 bread slices, buttered sides up.
- Heat a heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but no smoking; cooking sandwiches until bread is crisp and cheese is melted, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
Yum, yum yum. This is a delicious sandwich. I loved the combo of flavors - the crunch of the pumpernickel toast, the smooth creamy avocado, and the tang of the dijon went so well together. Delicious! NOTE: I used Smart Balance in place of butter, and reduced the amount to about 2 tsp total.
Great sandwich! I made one change and used potato bread - I knew my kid wouldn't go for the pumpernickel. The Husband made it clear that we must have these again! Thanks.