Here is a variation of a classic grilled cheese. Uaged Gruyere Swiss cheese on dark rye bread, with added sauerkraut is delish!
- Heat a frying pan to medium high heat. For each slice of bread, butter one side and place slice butter side down on the hot pan.
- Add a layer of cheese to one of the slices.
- As the bread begins to toast just slightly, and the cheese begins to soften, spread the heated sauerkraut over the slice of bread with cheese.
- Using a spatula, flip the cheese-less bread slice over on top of the slice with cheese and sauerkraut.
- After 30 sec or so, check to see if the cheese is just beginning to melt.
- If it is, flip the whole sandwich over onto the other side.
- Toast a minute more or less on that side until the cheese has melted, but isn't runny.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan; slice in half.