Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Here is a variation of a classic grilled cheese. Uaged Gruyere Swiss cheese on dark rye bread, with added sauerkraut is delish!
- 2 slices dark rye bread
- 3 slices gruyere swiss cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sauerkraut, drained and heated
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Heat a frying pan to medium high heat. For each slice of bread, butter one side and place slice butter side down on the hot pan.
- Add a layer of cheese to one of the slices.
- As the bread begins to toast just slightly, and the cheese begins to soften, spread the heated sauerkraut over the slice of bread with cheese.
- Using a spatula, flip the cheese-less bread slice over on top of the slice with cheese and sauerkraut.
- After 30 sec or so, check to see if the cheese is just beginning to melt.
- If it is, flip the whole sandwich over onto the other side.
- Toast a minute more or less on that side until the cheese has melted, but isn't runny.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan; slice in half.
"Give me more!" demanded DH. He forgot to complain that he had no meat for his supper; he didn't miss corned beef or Thousand Island Dressing at all. Supper ended when I ran out of Gruyere. I used imported Gruyere, Pepperidge Farm Pumpernickel, and Libby's Crispy Sauerkraut. I am so glad I used premium ingredients. I explained to DH:that sauerkraut is strong, so the cheese needs to be strong in taste. Sauerkraut, even after draining, tends to be wet, so the cheese needs to create a barrier to prevent the crust from getting soggy; Gruyere is a rather "hard" cheese. I returned to the market a second day to get Pumpernickel rather than a rye/pumpernickel loaf; again, the stronger taste is better for sauerkraut. By enclosing the sauerkraut between slices of Gruyere cheese, the sandwich never became soggy. Yes, we enjoyed them immensely! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.
Needed something quick and easy for lunch today. My husband loved this sandwich and had it with the gruyere cheese and I had tofu cheese and both sandwiches were great. Sorta of a mix between a rueban and a grilled cheese sandwich. Made for ZWT 7.
I loved this! I love sauerkraut, and this sandwich was delicious ;) i had a big can of sauerkraut, so I ended up making this a few times. Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT7 - Switzerland (Vivacious Violets)