Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
photo by alenafoodphoto
- Ready In:
- 1 loaf white bread or 1 loaf whole wheat bread, unsliced
- unsalted butter, for spreading softened
- 1⁄2 cup mango chutney (store-bought or home made)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs old cheddar cheese, premium-quality
- Place empty baking sheet in oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Slice bread into 3/4" slices.
- Butter both sides of bread.
- Spread half of slices with Mango Chutney.
- Slice cheese 3/8" thick and place on other slices of bread.
- Place chutney spread slices over slices with cheese.
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Place sandwiches on hot baking sheet.
- Return to hot oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until golden on bottom.
- Flip over sandwiches and bake another 8 minutes.
- Let stand 3 to 4 minutes so cheese cools off.
- Cut into halves or quarters.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made the mango chutney to go with this sandwich. I bought Artisans bread and sliced it and put old cheddar from Boars Head and a slice of white cheddar from Boars Head. It was real easy to put in the oven and not have to worry about all the insides coming out of the sides by the traditional way of grilling it. I found it very flavorful. My friend said he didn't really taste the mango though. (I think his tastes buds were on the bonkers that day for lunch) because I really tasted my mango chutney. The combination was really a tasty treat from the ordinary. Thanks for the recipe Dreamer.
see 16 more reviews