Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
American Home Cooking; best served with cornbread and pinto beans.
- 4 -6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried hot red chilies
- 4 lbs collard greens, washed thoroughly, stems and tough ribs discarded (or mustard greens, turnip greens, or a combination)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- Fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon has begun to color.
- Stir in the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and chiles; cook an additional minute.
- Dump in about half of the greens and toss until somewhat wilted.
- Add in the rest of the greens and toss again.
- Pour in the stock and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer the greens until very tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Serve the greens and pot liquor in a big bowl, hot and soupy.