1 hr 15 mins
American Home Cooking; best served with cornbread and pinto beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried hot red chilies
- 4 lbs collard greens, washed thoroughly, stems and tough ribs discarded (or mustard greens, turnip greens, or a combination)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon has begun to color.
- 2Stir in the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the garlic and chiles; cook an additional minute.
- 4Dump in about half of the greens and toss until somewhat wilted.
- 5Add in the rest of the greens and toss again.
- 6Pour in the stock and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover and simmer the greens until very tender, 25-30 minutes.
- 8Serve the greens and pot liquor in a big bowl, hot and soupy.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greens With Pot Liquor
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.8
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 606.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 18.9 g