Recipe by Kym in Ohio
In got this recipe from Whistle Shop Cookbook. This pie is very good and it didn't taste like green tomatoes.
- 6 cups unpeeled green tomatoes, 1/8 inch thick slices
- boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 -8 ounces of regular Coke (don't use diet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pasty Shell (this wil make 5 singles but freezes nicely): Sift Flour, cut shortening and salt.
- slowly add coke till forms a ball.
- Roll out thinly on floured surfuce (Makes 5 single pie crust) (Freezes very well) Green Tomato Filling: Place tomato slices into a bowl and cover with boiling boiling water.
- Let stand 3 mins; drain.
- Combine sugar, salt, flour, and spices in a small bowl.
- Fill pastry lined pie shell with layers of green tomato slices, sprinkle, each layer with sugar mixture,pats of butter, and sm amount of lemon mix.
- Cover filling with a top crust.
- Bake at 450 drgrees for 8- 10 minutes; reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake an additional 40 minutes or untill tomatoes are tender.